Saturday, April 01, 2006

Post-surgery

Surgery is over. They started around eleven, and it took about two and a half hours. Evidently they gave me morphine, because for a long time afterwards whenever I opened my eyes I could not focus at all. Mom said I slept for almost three hours. We had to wait for the physical therapist so that I could be fitted for crutches. I ate an apple out of the lunch that they gave me; the rest was way too dry. My mouth was extremely dry (and is now), and I couldn't really chew or swallow anything like the rest of the stuff: ham sandwich, potato chips, and graham crackers. When the physical therapist showed up, she showed me how to use the crutches. I couldn't be released until I went to the bathroom on the crutches. I had to sit up first, and when I put my legs off the edge of the bed, blood rushed through my legs and hurt quite a bit. When I tried to stand up, I got so nauseated that I almost threw up...thankfully, I didn't. However, I did sit back down on the bed and rested for a while until I felt well enought to try again. The second time I did get up and got all the way to the bathroom. It hurt so much; it's real hard to use crutches when both legs are injured.

Last night when I came home, I was stationed on the couch. I have been there all day today, except for trips to the bathroom in a little white rolling chair. Haha. My legs don't hurt as much as they did yesterday, but they have still been hurting. I haven't gotten sick, which is really good. I watched the whole first season of "Grey's Anatomy, " which my aunt brought yesterday to surgery. I had a whole crew with me yesterday; it was pretty crazy. There were a ton of people that I was going to call once I got out, but we were in the lower level of the hospital and there was no service whatsoever. Anyway, tomorrow I'll be taking off the ace bandages; there is another layer of bandages that will stay until I go back to see Dr. Antwine in two weeks. I'll have to use the crutches until then, as well.

I'm doing okay so far, and I think I'll be better tomorrow. I should, anyway. I want to be back at school by Tuesday night. Thank you for all your prayers; I needed (and need) every one of them. I love y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Daron, thanks for keeping us posted! I'm glad you're out and on the way to recovery! I'm so proud of you. PLEASE let me know if you need anything! I love you, and I'll continue to pray for you.
    He is the Great Physician.

    Lauren
    Isa. 42:6

    ReplyDelete