Monday, October 13, 2008

Sighting the End

Today was (hopefully) my last appointment with Dr. Antwine EVER!!! :D If you are not aware, Dr. Antwine is an orthopedic surgeon over at West TN Bone & Joint clinic who I have been seeing every time I've been injured since freshman year. He did my fasciotomy freshman year, and I've seen him I believe a minimum of three times every year since! He's a great guy; I just wish I hadn't had to see him that much. Haha. Today he said, "I think we can get you through three more games, then you're clear! No more of this!" AMEN!!

I've also been to physical therapy every year, except maybe last year. Well, I did do PT - just not in Jackson. By now Tom (a PT at Bone & Joint) knows me real well. A few weeks ago when I was there for a session I told him I realized what was wrong with me: Freshman year when I was finished with therapy, Tom told me, "You come back and visit us, let us know how you're doing!" Apparently my body took that to mean that it had to break down in order to allow this. I said, "Tom, this is all YOUR fault."

No more. There will never be another preseason or summer workout preparing for preseason. My body is (almost) done killing itself for a sport. I will definitely stay active; I can't imagine not doing so. I gotta keep weight off! :D Haha. Chances are I'm going to be totally lost without soccer next semester. I feel like I'll have a ridiculous amount of free time on my hands, but I know differently. I have to get ready to graduate in May and go to grad school in the fall. Holy cow... It still throws me off occasionally, even though I really feel like it's just the natural progression of things. I'm looking forward to it. Yes, I'll cry at the senior game and graduation, etc., but I'm ready to move on.

The other day I was in Coburn, and I saw one of my favorite soccer girls, whom I smiled and probably winked at. It hit me that I would miss her, as well as several of the other girls on the team. I'll miss them even next semester, when I won't have practice with any of them. It was a realization that these girls are awesome, and many of them have touched my life in some way whether big or small. I wish I could be there to see them continue growing and evolving, but I know that that's what I have to do in leaving here.

I hope I've made a difference. I hope I continue to make a difference until the day I am gone. That is solely dependent upon me - not anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment